Genetics: Aren't They Great!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who Says Being a Stay at Home Mom isn't Exciting!!!

Today was a normal Wednesday. The kids had appointments at the dentist and then we were going to go to the gym and run a few errands. I get the kids in the car only to find out my little dude had turned on one of the lights in the back. It had to have been on for at least a day and a half. The battery was dead and I only had 15 minutes to get the kids to the dentist that is a 15 minute freeway drive away. I called my hubby who tells me that the jumper cables are in his car 25 miles away. I start running to the few apartments that have someone who hasn't left for the day trying to find out if someone has jumper cables and if they could help me. Well, two of the four apartments that I could try were unable to help. As I'm walking up to the one where I know people are there, I find out that they don't speak english! Thankfully, the woman who helped them get this apartment had jumper cables with her and she spoke fluent spanish! With her car and cables, the father of that family was able to jump the car. As we were driving up, I realized that our radio won't work because it has an anit-theft device that needs a code that isn't in the car. The previous owner didn't leave that in the owner's pack, but he did leave the instruction manual to a portable dvd player! And yes, my little dude wanted to listen to music, because the drive is boring. We made it to the dentist late, but were still able to get in. Plus, my kids don't have any cavities! The day is only looking better.

After we leave the dentist's office, I pick up lunch for the kids. My baby doll had a shortened nap, and then it was off to the gym where I had a lazy day of bike riding for an hour. It took an extra 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot because my little dude didn't want to leave. He tried so hard not to leave that he grabbed the bike rack and wouldn't let go. It was HI-larious! We then went to our credit union where he didn't realize that the drive thru there is the same as the drive thru at a fast food restaurant. He took off his seat belt, after many times of me telling him no, and climbed up front to see the canister shoot up. After a bit of a scolding, he got back in his seat and tried so hard to get his seat belt on. When we were done there, I drove to the nearest pharmacy to pick up his flouride prescription. It took probably a good five minutes of me explaining to him that he doesn't need to unbuckle himself, because we weren't getting out. It's not that he didn't understand that we weren't getting out, but that he didn't understand why we wouldn't WANT to get out to go to another 'store.'

Our last stop was my bank, where I needed to cash my bonds. We go in, because I just know that it's going to take FORever, and I didn't want to be in a car with a 4 yr old who keeps asking what we're doing and a 1 yr old who would be screaming because we aren't going anywhere. Well, when we finally get up to an available teller, he has to ask 2 others how to cash bonds, since they aren't seeing too many of them. They finally figure out that it's about a 10 minute process for 3 bonds. If they were for a LARGE amount of money I probably would have been more jovial. However, I was an exhausted mom who just got done exercising and running errands with a 4 yr old who tried using the bank as a jungle gym and an infant/toddler who just wants to crawl everywhere and not be told she isn't allowed to go where she wants. They finished up and I figured that while I was actually in the bank and had a copy of our marriage liscence on me, I would change my name after only 6 1/2 years of marriage. I looked at the tax copy of of my bond deposit, and it read that I deposited 3-$50 bonds. I was shocked! One of those was a $100 bond. Not that it's much of a difference, but still I know I didn't get the correct face value of it. That meant that I had to get back into line and get to the teller who helped me and get everything straightened out. By this time, my little dude had already finished off his sucker and my baby doll wasn't doing well without a bottle and freedom. About 1/4 of the through fixing the mishap, my little dude was using the door as a swing. I guess it's good that he doesn't weigh too much, that way he won't break anything, right? Oy! He's so bored inside, that he's running in and out of the two doors and holding them open for people. He was holding open the outside door trying to get me to come out to go home. One of the women that was originally helping me and the teller tried to play with my little dude, and that was the one thing that got him running and staying by my side. Finally I lifted him up onto the ledge where the teller was. He finished his time up playing with the pen while I finished throwing my baby doll up for about the 30th time to keep her happy and not screaming. With many apologies and thank yous, we left the bank after being there for a 1/2 hr that felt like about 3 hrs and went home. You know, I surprised myself today. While there were moments where I just wanted to scream and cry, I pushed out smiles and enjoyed that my kids are healthy, happy, energetic, normal kids who do what kids do. Now here I sit typing out what could have been a bad experience all because of the way I perceived and reacted to the events of today. I'm finishing my day off with a bowl filled with a banana, chocolate ice cream and marshmallows. A sweet ending to an exciting day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zen Mama said...

Back when the Mommy Wars were a hot topic, I heard some lady on the Today Show say that being a stay at home mother was ...

boring.

To this day, I still can't figure that one out. Glad you survived your day and that you were able to top it off with ice cream!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home